Saturday, September 6, 2014

What is faith without works?

This summer I had so many opportunities to put my faith to action. Whether it was working with the children at the ministry school, loving the moms presented, sharing my faith and praying for people we met on outreach or helping with worship, one of my favorite experiences was working with my friend Anna in the red light district of Denmark. Anna began a ministry to the prostitutes by bringing church to them. Many of the women we worked with were primarily Nigerians who had a Christian background. Because of manipulation and naivety these women have been forced into the sex industry. In the evenings my friend along with other volunteers go and open a church from 12-4 am where the woman can come and be safe. Food is prepared for them, Nigerian worship music plays in the background, Bibles are free to be given and volunteers are waiting to talk or pray with the women. We had time to go out on the streets as well to make connections and build relationships. I was surprised at how open the women were and I was reminded of God's huge love for the broken. Once again, I was challenged to continue to be the hands and feet of Jesus on my return to the United States. If you are looking for an outlet to give to this street ministry in Denmark, there is a huge need for more Bibles to give to the women. Feel free to contact me! What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that? So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead. James 2:14-17

No comments:

Post a Comment